The principle aim of the Network is to work with surgeons, urologists, paediatricians, nurses, managers and commissioners to:
- strengthen collaboration between District General Hospitals and specialist paediatric centres
- be child focussed
- encourage high quality care as close to home as possible
- ensure timely succession planning for surgeons
- audit the work in both tertiary centres and District General Hospitals to ensure high standards of care and the same standards in all centres
- invest in appropriate training of future clinical staff
- support CPD and revalidation.
The underlying principle of the Network in the South West is taken from Dennis Browne:
“The aim of paediatric surgery is to set a standard not to create a monopoly” – Dennis Browne, a founding member of British Association of Paediatric Surgery.